Be ready to walk in NYC, it’s everything you need to have with you and some extras that will make your visit more enjoyable.
Be ready to walk in NYC: maps and guides
The City Walks guide should be enough, but if you like the feel of paper and/or want to find bars, restaurants, hotels, clubs, go to:
- Moon New York Walks, a very serious competitor to this site!
- StreetSmart NYC map, pocket-size, detailed, with a subway map too.
- Not for Tourists Guide to NYC, with neighborhoods maps, tips, finds.
- Lonely Planet NYC, always a pleasure to read, and a mine of info for all budgets and all interests.
- NYC 5 boro map, with attractions and subway map if you plan to explore the boroughs beyond Manhattan.
- Michelin guide NYC 2018: restaurants: find more restaurants than you’ll ever be able to visit!
You’ll also find ideas for walking in NYC at:
Be ready to walk in NYC: books
A list of books, far from exhaustive and highly subjective:
- Books about New York City in general: you’ll certainly find here something that trigger your interest.
- An History Lover’s Guide to NYC: offers good background about places outside the main tourists attractions.
- Gotham: an history of NYC to 1898: a Pulitzer price, 1426 pages, read like a novel; a second one covers the years 1898 to 1919.
- Books for kids: many choices, all ages and tastes.
- The Catcher in the Rye, by Salinger: teenage angst and rebellion in the 1950′.
- The Godfather, by Mario Puzo: the saga of the Corleone Mafia Family.
- The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald: jazz, wealth, and parties on Long Island.
- Humans of New York: photos and stories by Brandon Stanton .
- Mystery books by Lawrence Block, Thomas O’Callaghan, and Linda Fairstein will keep you turning the pages long after your normal bedtime!
- New York: amazing photos of the city.
Be ready to walk in NYC: games and toys
Her too, the choice is large, so, to get you started, a few favorites:
- Monopoly New York City: this is the collectors edition, but others are available.
- NYC 1000 piece puzzle: to keep you busy for hours!
- NYC skyline Lego collection: yes, Lego has that, and other NYC buildings too.
- NYC bus: an original souvenir of the city
- NYC smarts game: play the game, learn about the city!
Be ready to walk in NYC: things for her
- Candice Cooper shoes (a range of colorful and solid sneakers)
- Hogan shoes (for a classic, elegant, and original look)
- Skechers shoes (classic and trendy)
- Toms shoes (same)
- Belts (always useful)
- Gloves (you ‘ll need some in winter)
- Hats (to make a fashion statement in summer)
- Scarfs (another must-have in winter)
- Sunglasses (for all the bright and sunny days)
Be ready to walk in NYC: things for him
- Chippewa boots (dozens of models for all seasons, with Vibram soles)
- Timberland shoes (comfortable and resistant)
- Red Wing shoes (high quality of products)
- Cole Haan shoes (an alternative)
- Asics shoes (same)
- New Balance ( good urban trekking shoes)
- Belts (same comments as for the women section)
- Gloves (needed in winter)
- Hats (trendy)
- Scarfs (think winter)
- Sunglasses (protect your eyes!)
Be ready to walk in NYC: things for her and him
- Filson bags (high quality)
- Visconti bags (for work and for leisure)
- Blunt umbrellas (large and windproof umbrellas, you’ll love them when the wind is blowing!)
- Columbia Jackets (in case you don’t want an umbrella, or to go with it!)
- Camera Case (because you always take care of your stuff)
“As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases” (with no fee for you), so I picked only things I think are good and would be useful!